LydCor

LydCor
Sweet Graham

Friday, December 31, 2010

Why Graham is Graham

Its a pretty big deal picking out a name. I mean, you could change your name ... but who does that? So it is up to the parents to bless the child with a good name. And not just any name, think ahead to the first day of school that the child will go through every year. Each teacher reads the full name. So we can't go with a name that has a wacky first name and plan on using the middle name - that's pointless. If you want him to be called something ... NAME HIM THAT. So needless to say, Lydia and I have over analyzed the name. We have three books, each of which are about three pounds and have thousands of names and their origin and meaning, etc. We started looking through the books early on, before we knew the sex. The girl name was tough, and quite frankly, we only eliminated it down to a top five list. Apparently the thing to do now is keep those a secret in case we ever have a girl later on, no one will "take" those names (as if we have ownership of them...). I didn't waste nearly as much time thinking about the names as Lydia did, because I didn't see the point spending brain time on something until we knew the sex. However, the boy name came pretty quick, which is all the better since we found out we are having a boy! We decided early on that we wanted the middle name to be Everett. Why? Well, Lydia's dad's middle name is Everett, my (Corey) grandfather's (mom's side) name was Everett, my great uncle's middle name was Everett (although he went by his middle name), and Lydia has a distant cousin or someone named Everett. So that was easy - it was a given. Now to the first name. We had a top ten list that revolved quite a bit and no two days was the top ten the same as the day before. I don't remember how we heard the name first, probably a commercial or in a name book, but Lydia said, "Hey, what about Graham?". There was something about the name that just sounded perfect. I didn't even have to think about it or hear it out loud several times. I replied, "That's it!!" So from that point forward, Graham has been Graham Everett. 

Now the tough part - Lydia's grandmother (dad's side) goes by "Gram". So now we have two Gram/Graham's in the family. Hopefully context will help decipher who we are talking about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment